Sunday, March 1, 2009

End of Pavement 200k Training Ride


Yesterday I decided to add a few miles onto the San Tan team ride to put in a 200k ride to get ready for next week's Araviaca 400k. I have always liked the End of Pavement (EOP) ride and it is a 100 mile round trip from the house so I figured if I tacked on the Team ride, it should be close to 124 miles or 200k.

EOP, as is known around here, is the place where the pavement ends on the Apache Trail, past Canyon Lake and Tortilla Flats, at the top of the hill before the descent to Fish Creek and Apache Lake.

Ride Report:

The alarm went off at 5:30 am and my first task was to fill up the Suburban with gas and buy two bags of ice for Debby. This action was required to secure my kitchen pass for the day. Debby was helping out with a percussion competition and needed the ice.

I was off at 6:15, heading for Paragon Cycling in Mesa. The team meets there for the 'shop' ride Saturday mornings. Its about 17 miles to the shop, I arrived there at 7:20, turned off my lights, and purchased a single shot of expresso at the coffee shop next store. With my water bottles topped off, and a shot of caffeine I was ready to go!

20 of us left the store at 7:35 and headed north toward past Falcon Field to Power Road/Bush Highway. It is about 15 miles to the Salt River Recreation headquarters at Bush and Ellsworth. From there you turn right for the climb up Usury Pass. We regrouped at the top of Usury Pass. No takers to join me to the EOP, so off I go.

At Brown and Apache Trail is a service station/convenience store called the Dash Inn. I topped off the water and grabbed a chocolate milk and was back on the road into a very strong headwind. There were several groups of riders heading back, moving very fast with the tailwind.

Soon I was working the switchbacks on the first climb. The ride is generally uphill to the EOP with three distinct climbs. The first is where the road twists and turns through the mountains above Canyon lake, the second, the climb out of the lake on the hill above Tortilla Flats. Lastly, the five miles UP from Tortilla Flats to the EOP.

There was some relief from the wind in the switchbacks. Soon I was on the downslope to the lake. The wind was so strong here that I didn't need to use the brakes on the descent to the lake (which was covered with white caps!).

Tortilla Flats was really hopping with winter visitors and motorcyclists. I stopped briefly to stow the arm and leg warmers and was back on the road. Here creek flows over the road, so I carefully rode through about 3-6 inches of creek flowing across the road.

Its five miles of steady climbing, most of it into a strong wind. Finally I reached the EOP:

At the End of Pavement

Turning around, I was at speed in no time. Suddenly I felt a sting in my hip. A bee was caught between my waist and thigh and nailed me. I shook it off, but too late to avoid the sting, and concentrated on the descent. I was back at Tortilla Flats in no time! My computer showed a max speed of 49.9 on the descent. I rode into the forest service campground at Tortilla Flats and topped off the water bottles for the run back into town.

I made great time, and stopped at the Chevron store at Brown and Ellsworth. I bought a hot dog and Sobe beverage for a little solid lunch. After I took the first bite I discovered it was a Jalapeno Dog, wow! Little bits of Jalapeno mixed into the meat(?) substance in the dog. Quite tasty, and no ill effects later!

Mark called me from Germany as I was riding along Lindsey road in Gilbert, and said; "where is everybody?" I told him I was 104 miles into a 120 mile ride and Mom and Mike were at a percussion competition. He was looking for someone to send him a report he wrote last year for English class that he wanted for school in Germany. I pointed out it was sunny and 84 and nice to be out on the bike! He is recovering from Karneval in Cologne germany (Here is his blog.) , having a great time, but missing our great riding weather.

I rolled into the driveway with the computer showing 8 hours and 14 minutes and 121.6 miles.

It was a great day on the bike. My only regret was forgetting the sunblock!

No comments: