Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Casa Grande Ruins 200km Brevet

Ride Report

The Southern Arizona Randonneurs 2011 brevet season started with a very well attended 200km brevet on January 8, 2011. Over 60 riders, a new record, set out from the Round Trip Bike shop in Casa Grande at 7:30am heading out for the first of two legs to this 200km brevet. I arrived and checked in with plenty of time and was very excited to see such a great turnout, lots of new riders and many of the 'usual suspects!'

The group rolled out without Susan's brevet-mobile 'lead out' since a number of riders had not yet checked in at departure time. We settled into a nice controlled pace as we headed out of town. By the time we reached the I-10 overpass, a group of about 20+ riders had formed at the front and we worked together making great time to the first checkpoint at the ruins, only minutes after it opened at 9am.

Last year I was amazed by the speed of the check-in and ended up being left behind. This year I bolted to the restroom first to reload my water, then get my card stamped, and then get back on the bike. Even then, about 6 riders were already gone. I set out and tacked onto a group that caught me and by the time we turned onto Martin road, the group had reformed with about 12 riders. We worked together and were back at the bike shop just after 10am.

When we arrived I went right to my Suburban and reloaded food and got rid of one layer and my booties. I checked in at the bike shop and was back on the road with two other riders. We rode together out of town and I dropped off when the pace picked up. Soon the large group caught me and I tacked on. I stayed with them as we entered the reservation and took a few pulls at the front. Once we hit the rollers, I decided the pace was a little too hot and dropped off. A tandem and one rider from the Canadian team had the same idea and we formed our own little group and worked well together to the turnaround on Indian 15.

Susan Plonsky at the Lunch Turn-around


After a Coke and a wrap I was back on my way towards Casa Grande. The tandem team and I shared the work much of the way through the reservation. They decided to take a break and I continued on alone. They caught me again just as we left the reservation, but flatted soon thereafter. They had everything they needed for the repair, so I rode the in rest of the way solo.

I arrived back at the shop a little after 2pm, (6 hrs 40 min). I was very happy with my time and had a great day on the bike. The weather was cool and sunny, the winds were light, and it was a great start to the 2011 brevet season. I am already looking forward to the Saguaro National Monument 300km brevet in just three weeks!

Steve Atkins

 

3 comments:

Lonnie Epic Wolff said...

Steve,

Great job on the ride! Is that a PR for you on that route?

I was going to Cal to do a 200k on that weekend. We got halfway there but got a call, had to cancel and turn back towards home. Instead I'll do a 200k in San Diego next weekend.

Maybe I'll see you out there somewhere this year!

Lonnie

Steve Atkins said...

Thanks Lonnie, actually my official time was one minute slower than last year. Hope to see you on the road!

Steve

Heather said...

Loved reading this thhanks