Monday, February 5, 2024

2024 Madera Canyon 200km Brevet

Mt. Wrightson

Ride Report February 3, 2024

Mike gives the rider brief
Seven riders lined up for the Madera Canyon brevets early Saturday morning in the El Con Mall parking lot in Tucson AZ. Two routes were on offer, 6 riders selected the 300km route and yours truly selected the 200km route. Both versions are identical until mile 112, where the longer route heads to Saguaro National Park and the shorter route heads directly back to the start. This is my first brevet of the season; I skipped the Bartlett Lake 200 as we left for our New Zealand adventure the following day! (Ride report for that two week adventure to follow ;-)
Outbound on the Loop

The last several Tucson Brevets have started at the El Con mall near the University of Arizona main campus. Lots of bike lanes connect to the U of A campus and the Loop, a 100+ mile paved bike path around the city. The bike path makes the ride out of town easy and relaxed. Normally city riding is interrupted with many traffic lights and a need to stay on high alert for traffic. The loop uses underpasses to avoid many major streets, is well paved (although frost heaves are starting to form), and got us nearly to the airport before joining regular streets.

Several fast Canadians and Brian McGuire formed a fast group, with Bob Fisher and I at the back. We regrouped a few times at traffic lights, until the roads opened up and we headed on at our own pace.

It started out a bit cold at the start, so I wore my heavier SmartWool lined wind pants. They were perfect for the first hour or so. But as the temperatures started to warm, they were too hot and I made the first of many layer changes to peel them off and change to knee warmers.

Amado, the first control

The first control was in the town of Amado, the gateway to Arivaca! Mike was there when I arrived and Brian and Bob were just pulling out as I rolled in. Brian must have come to his senses and linked up Bob, who passed me during one of my clothing reconfigurations.

I topped off the bottles, grabbed some pocket food, and thanked Mike for staffing this control. It saved a stop at the Mini-Mart to reload! Even better the headwind that had been growing since we left Tucson would now be a tailwind for 10 miles back toward Tucson!

Perfect weather, great views
It was easy to hold 20-23 mph with a nice tailwind and those 10 miles went by ever too fast! Reaching Continental road, a right turn followed by another right turn on Madera Canyon Road put the wind back on the nose for the 13 mile/ 2657 foot climb to the summit in Madera Canyon.
Don’t be fooled by the 2% grade
This was my first time up this road and Mike warned us not to spend too much energy on the easy section of the climb. It went 8 miles at a very easy grade, and the wind seemed to moderate as we went higher. The group of fast Canadians on their return flashed by while I was still on the easy section.

With 3.5 miles to go, the real work begins. While I could comfortably hold a 10-11 mph pace at the base of the climb with a decent cadence, my speed dropped below 3 mph on the steep ramps at the top. The views were fantastic! I thought to myself, ‘as soon as I hit a flat spot, I’ll stop and take a picture.’ But around each bend it seemed to get steeper! Bob rolled by on his return near the top, and the next thing I know, I’m at the top and pulling into the picnic area where Mike set up the control. Brian was still there, but getting ready to leave.

White-nosed Coati 
Brian headed out, and a visitor strolled through the picnic area. Looking well fed and obviously comfortable with humans, it wandered by our table then headed off!

Mike Sturgill RBA and great host!
Again Mike was there with refreshments at the summit picnic area. He commented about how beautiful the peak was covered in snow. I said, yes I stopped to take some photos. They would be next on the blog, but apparently I only THOUGHT about taking some photos, and did not actually stop and take them. I didn't discover that fact until I was home reviewing the photos!

After a nice break, wonderful lunch, and visit with Mike, it was time to head down. The elevation was about 5500 feet, and when the sun went behind a cloud, it became quite cold. So back on with the heavy pants and rain coat for the 13 mile descent. It was so steep, that the first few miles I was held up by car traffic. The extra layers were the right choice for the descent, but soon I was back on Continental road and too warm.

Another stop to layer off, and I was on my way. The route doubles back on itself on Camino del Sol and my Garmin said to take that route. I turned, but it didn't seem like the way to Helmet Peak and luckily I stopped and checked the printed cue sheet. Yes, wrong turn, so back track a few meters to the traffic circle and back on Continental toward Mission Road and Helmet Peak. For the first 300-400 meters my Garmin was convinced I had made a wrong turn and kept beeping and flashing U-Turn now. Finally it realized I was headed to Tucson, not Amado, and the arguments stopped!
Mission Road near the Duval Mine
Mike mentioned that Mission Road had new pavement and was butter smooth. He was correct and finally the wind was starting to cooperate again and soon the next 10 miles to Helmet Peak were in the rearview mirror.
Helmet Peak information control
With the climbing done, and the sun starting to get low in the sky, the temperature started to drop again. Its a long enjoyable descent into Tucson, and can be quite fast. One more time to put on the knee and arm warmers, and with one full bottle, I push off for the last run into Tucson.
Mission Road Descent
I have ridden this section of road many times, but normally at the end of a 400 or 600 brevet, in the dark. It was a nice change to ride it in daylight with mountain views, but no city lights!
Ahh, back on the Loop
Mission Road is quiet, but soon the route dumps us out on Valencia for a mile and a half of high tension city riding! Dodging all kinds of debris in the bike lane, and one asshole city bus driver that decided to pass, then enter the bike lane for a bus stop; happily I was soon on the Loop for relaxed riding to the finish.
The last hazard
One last hazard, University Avenue at the U of A. Those trolley tracks can swallow a wheel so be careful. Its Saturday at about 5:30 pm and while some partying was going on, I didn't have to dodge the drunk students that come out in the late hours!
Back at the start
I rolled into the El Con lot in just under 10 hours after the start of my adventure. I threw the bike in the back of the Mini, and headed over to Chic-Fil-A for fries and a sandwich for the ride home.

Thanks again to Mike Sturgill for putting on another great brevet. This route combined some familiar roads with some new ones, and as aways, its great to see old friends on an Arizona Brevet. Next up is the Around the Bend 400. Twice as long with half as much climbing as this 200! Sign up at Azbrevet.com!

Steve Atkins







No comments: