Saturday, June 8, 2024

2024 Route 66 East - Day 8

Springfield MO

Spring River outside Carthage 
We started the day by heading to the Pancake Hut for breakfast. They set a table for our whole group but the poor waitress was covering the whole restaurant and was completely overwhelmed. A few local patrons helped her out and the food came flying out of the kitchen and we were on our way.
Original 1924 pavement under the tarmac
My goal today was to get to Springfield ahead of the heat and in plenty of time to attend a 5 pm vigil Mass at the St. Agnes Cathedral. So I rolled off the front and headed into the countryside.
Beautiful farmland
We were only on the original Route 66 for the first 4.5 miles of the ride. It became a busy truck route and Lon had found route that roughly paralleled through remote country roads.
Two lanes, little traffic and fantastic rolling farm and ranch land were on order for the next 40 miles. The rain that was in the forecast did not materialize and the wind was a cross to quartering tailwind for the whole day.
Temperatures were cool, and it seemed that around each bend, the scenery became more spectacular.
Turning a corner I saw this group of people working with a cow, chickens, and goats. I stopped and said good morning and asked if I could take a picture of his group. He said no! I said, ‘no worries’ and I put my phone back in my pocket. I explained that I am on a bike tour and that about 14 other people with cameras will be rolling through soon as a warning. He said; ‘I thought you were from around here and I was wondering why you wanted our picture, if you’re just passing through, go ahead!’ He got his kids to pose for the shot above! I asked the kids if their Dad was teaching them farming, the Dad said, ‘hey I’m just learning, I’m from New Hampshire!’
Did I mention the wonderful rollers on the route. With the quartering tail-winds even the uphill rollers were a blast to ride.
We rejoined Old Route 66 and here is another example of the old alignment crossing over the new alignment with a series of big S turns.
About 50 miles into the ride I rolled through Miller MO and back into the country. The Spencer Phillips 66 station was on the cue sheet but it didn’t look open. I stopped to take some photos and noticed the yellow sign in the window. That is a mileage sign to the Jackrabbit Trading Post in Arizona. Looking in the window I saw the Ed Kline.
Ed Kline
Ed is the owner of the station and had been restoring it for the past two years. He said they were technically not open, but he was happy to show me around. He mentioned that the concrete pavement out front was original 1925 pavement. The original owner bought the ‘town’ of Spencer for $500 in 1926 and the station was fully operational by 1928. Spencer was bypassed in 1961 and closed shortly thereafter.

Ed showed me the 1925 refrigerator and offered me a cold bottle of water. He said it didn’t work when he acquired it, but consulted YouTube and determined that it only needed a new power cord, and followed a video that showed him how to successfully repair it, now its nice and cold!
He has been accumulating period barber shop equipment to recreate the barber shop.
Anqitue period stove
The original also had a general store and post office which are being recreated.
I bought a couple items and headed out. He took my picture by the pumps for his ‘guest book’ and told me to give his buddy Gay Parita at the Sinclair down the road some grief that his gas price is too high!
I rolled in to the Sinclair station 2 miles down the road and said  to the owner ‘I’m glad I filled up at the 66, your price is too high!’ He said, well if you got it at Spencers 66, that’s too bad, it’s mostly skunk water!’ The gas war continues!
The Sinclair station was loaded with old cars and assorted memorabilia and junk. There was even a working Wurlitzer upright piano!
How this Belgian train sign got here, who knows?
Back on open roads, the heat was starting to build and the terrain flattened out and the winds were nearly a fully on the tail.
Who called this meeting
Motel on the edge of Springfield
Recommended diner for lunch
Rich and Matt rolled in after I took a seat at the counter
I had a great meal and enjoyed talking with Dan Bixby and his wife also seated at the counter (they left just before Matt took this photo). Dan was taking a lunch break from his job with the US Census Bureau. He had his government computer and a census name badge that I didn’t notice at first. We had a wonderful conversation. 

But it was not as wonderful as the homemade banana cream pie I had for dessert. While I was ordering my sandwich I mentioned I would probably have some ice cream for dessert. She said we have pie, banana cream, and before I could say a word she had dipped a fork into the pie to give me a sample. I almost skipped the sandwich! She made it from a recipe her great-grandmother gave her. Her secret is to carve out the seeds in the center of the bananas before you bake, so the filling does not turn brown. The meringue was stacked sky high on the pie and was light and fluffy.
Route 66 Hub Cap Sculpture
Our route took us through a square downtown that had been closed off for a Pride Celebration. I pick my way through and continued on my way.
Unnamed brand new Muffler Man. This restaurant is under construction and the Muffler Man is ready to get cooking.
Today we are 1/2 complete with our journey to Chicago! I rolled in to the motel and 0245 and set about doing my post ride chores and get ready for Mass.
Mass was well attended and St. Agnes Cathedral was a short Uber ride away!
After Mass I walked a few blocks into the downtown area and found Nonna’s Italian Cafe. No tables were available, but I offered to sit at the bar and they cleared me a space. A couple of Peroni’s, nice salad, huge plate of pasta and meatballs, and an Uber back to the room and here we are!

It’s raining now, and moderate to heavy rain and cool temperatures are in the forecast for tomorrow, definitely bring the rain gear and a base layer!

Breakfast at George’s diner next door, see you at 0630!

No comments: